New Year’s Resolution: Protect Yourself From Damages In a Texas Truck Or Auto Accident

What Coverages Have Your Purchased In Your Auto or Truck Policy?

Shopping for insurance can be a challenge. After all, you don’t want to pay too much. However, lower premiums should not exclusively be your goal either. We hope you never need to use your insurance, but chances are high you will. You need adequate coverage to protect your health and your financial well-being if you are considered at-fault for the accident or if the other driver does not carry enough insurance.

What are the Chances You Will File an Auto or Truck Accident Claim?

Drivers file a claim an average of once every 17.9 years. This
means that if you obtained your driver’s license at age 16, you will
likely be involved in at least one auto accident
by the time you are 34 years old. You are expected to be in
approximately three to four accidents over the course of a lifetime of

Thankfully most car and truck crashes do not
result in serious injuries. In fact, in 2012, the average property
damages claim was $3,073 and the average bodily injury was $14,653.
These statistics indicate that the average claims fall within the
minimum liability insurance required under Texas law, which follows a
30/60/25 coverage model as follows:


  • $30,000 for each injured person in an accident
  • $60,000 total for all injured people per accident
  • $25,000 for property damage in a single accident

These amounts, however, may not cover you if you are
seriously injured or if you are responsible for severely injuring
another person. You could be held legally responsible for paying the

Do You Have Enough Coverage?

Don’t wait until you are in an accident to learn what your policy actually covers. Learn more about policies that are available to you,

  • Liability: Covers occupants’ injuries and property damage of the other car in an accident for which the policyholder is found at fault
  • Collision: Covers repair of your own vehicle after an auto accident
  • Comprehensive: Covers damage to your car caused by vandalism, theft, fire and other incidents
  • Medical payment: Pays your medical bills after an accident
  • Personal injury protection (PIP): Also pays lost income and caregiver services in addition to medical bills
  • Uninsured/ underinsured motorist (UM/UIM): Pays for injuries and property damage above the amount the other motorist carried or if the other motorist is uninsured

The Texas Department of Insurance provides clear definitions of each type of insurance policy.

Are You Actually Even Covered?

Your insurance contract includes a long list of terms, in which
you are responsible for reading and understanding. Make sure you
understand the exclusions that may apply to you and your family. For
example, buying insurance that includes these common restrictions may
reduce premiums, but leave you without coverage when a crash occurs:

  • Named driver: Only the driver named on the policy is covered
  • Excluded driver: Specifically excludes certain drivers from coverage
  • Business use: Excludes coverage of accidents related to
    commercial activities, such as engaging in part-time pizza delivery or
    ridesharing services

Make sure exclusions do not jeopardize coverage for the manner in which you actually use your vehicle.

Bill Berenson
can advise you on issues related to your insurance policy and how much
compensation you are entitled to after an accident. Call our firm for a
free consultation.

Share This Post