The Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul character, Saul Goodman, portrayed a despicable but hysterical lawyer.
However it’s no laughing matter when a real life personal injury lawyer preys upon vulnerable people.
This just happened in Dallas, where a city councilwoman used her position to solicit business for another lawyer, according to this article in the Texas Lawyer. A woman was rushed to the ICU after being horrifically mauled by a dog and later died. The politician is accused of pressuring the grieving family to hire her out of state friend — who had been disbarred. The two were just sued by the deceased woman’s family for barratry, or the illegal solicitation of a client.
Unfortunately this is routine after an accident or tragedy. If lawyers or medical clinics start cold calling you or your family after an auto or truck collision, you should hang up. Then you should call the State Bar of Texas and report them. It’s the only way this harassing conduct will stop. And there is a $10,000.00 reward.
Find a Qualified, Ethical Lawyer
Choosing an attorney is a huge decision. How do you find the best one for your case?
Here are some tips:
- Choose a lawyer with the specialty you need. An excellent medical malpractice or toxic torts lawyer may not have the experience to effectively handle an auto accident claim. You can learn more from the attorney’s website and from asking him or her questions.
- Hire as much experience as possible. The fee is the same for a recent graduate as a trial attorney with 36 years experience as I have. So why not obtain representation from an attorney that has handled thousands of cases like yours?
- Insist that they are certified in personal injury by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. They have been vetted as having experience, knowledge, skills and ethics in personal injury trials. And they cost no more than general practice attorneys.
- Ask questions. Do not be hesitant about asking the lawyer questions so you can decide if he or she is aggressive, hard working, and ethical.
- Meet with the lawyer. If an intake person or paralegal handles your first appointment, this may be a red flag that staff – not the lawyer -will handle your case throughout.
- Research reputation. Learn about past clients’ experiences with the lawyer. Read reviews on Google, Lawyers.com, AVVO, YP.com, and the Better Business Bureau sites.
The Best Injury Attorney
We have many good personal injury attorneys in Fort Worth and Dallas. Choose carefully.
Most of all, you should feel like your attorney truly cares about you and your case.
I have been the owner of Berenson Injury Law for the past 34 years and board certified in injury law for 22 years. I’ve successful represented thousands of injured victims in the Dallas Fort Worth area in auto accident cases. And what I especially enjoy hearing at the the end of a case is that I truly cared about helping my clients and that I got them the compensation they wanted.